Saturday, August 30, 2008

last weekend--Maokong Gondola

Last weekend I went to the Maokong Gondola near Taipei. You can take a cable car up the mountainside and see where tea is grown. There are teahouses everywhere you look, nice trails for walking, and some beautiful temples. It was refreshing to be closer to nature and see some green!


Here is what the "gondolas" look like. Good thing I left my fear of heights on the zip line in Costa Rica! Compared to that, this 20-minute ride was no big deal!

Me, Helen, and Kyle in the gondola...


A sign for one of the many tea shops. We came back here later... it sounded pretty good, despite the incorrect English!

A little mountain stream that we cooled off in...

A big thunderstorm hit during the afternoon so we waited it out in an information center...

Heading out again after the rain!
"Well View, Well Tea, Well Food" shop...

A spot of tea, Taiwan-style...

Some hot tea on a hot afternoon... notice I'm sweating profusely, but it still tasted amazing. So cool that it was grown on the same mountain where I drank it!




The sunset from the gondola, on our way back down...

We got off at the Zhinan Temple to have a look around...
Helen and I by the "Statue of Aloving Mother" (that's what it said on the sign)

And this would be the "Pavillion for Belaxation," according to the sign! We belaxed for a little while...

Dusk falling on Taipei...

Zhinan Temple

A good end to a good day... the lights of Taipei were beautiful. See Taipei 101 to the right?

1 comment:

Carrie Sterner said...

So fun to see more of the scenery around there. Not so sure I could do a 20 minute ride on that thing. You look great!