Tonight while walking home from work, I stopped outside a 7-11 to throw away my empty coconut-water can, but there was a guy by the recycling bin digging through it. It took a second for me to realize what he was doing--a drive-by recycling bin robbery! (You can make money by collecting recylables--for some it's a full-time--legal--job) His scooter was still running on the curb, he was wearing gloves and had a bag with him. As we made eye contact, he said "Shhhh, Shhhhh, Shhhh!" His eyes pleaded with me. What's the protocol here? Go in to 7-11 and narc? Call the cops? Throw him to the ground and take back what's rightfully the property of a trash can?
I handed him my coconut-water can and turned away, letting him escape into the night. With my pitifully limited Chinese, all I'd really be able to do is ask the 7-11 clerk to come outside. Anyway, if he's at a point in his life where he needs to sneak around in the dark robbing from recycling bins, he sure doesn't need any extra trouble.
1 comment:
:)
Post a Comment