Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the 'hood

I'm so sorry for not doing this sooner! I guess Taiwan is so... normal (!!) to me now that I forget you people probably can't picture my life here! Here are a few scenes from my neighborhood... I'll try to take pictures of "regular stuff" more often!
24-hr grocery store called "Wellcome" across the street from my building

my bank "E.Sun," also right next to my building!

down the street from where I live... the white building is Chang Gung Hospital, where I've spent way too much time

a tiny park for tiny families

and since there are no real pastoral scenes to be found, we have this educational sculpture, thankfully!

do you see the yumminess that is a 30 second walk from my house?

across the street, where I go for lunch--a Buddhist vegetarian buffet!

first floor of my building--Santa Cruz Organic Grocery. it's no Whole Foods, but very glad it's there!

walking to work... this empty lot turns into a night market a few nights/week... and the rest of the time, a major eyesore and popular hangout for packs of homeless dogs!

walking to work... this odd little shack is a shop that sells cigarettes, beer and betel nuts (google them, I can't describe)

Vietnamese Karaoke

the intersection near my school where I got hit last January... I generally avoid it now and usually walk another way.

a recycling center: "Coexist with Eath" (haha)

my school! the middle two windows are my classroom, and the 2nd story window on the right is my yoga classroom!

walking home at night, a vegetable truck. I just don't think I could stomach carrots that have been laying in the street with cars driving by just feet away...

3 comments:

Maria Lovin said...

I'm lovin' the 'hood! :) Such variety...everything from Starbuck's to betel nuts...what more could you need?!

elly said...

i know... that's something i actually love about taiwan--i think the contrast is so interesting!

mrs. darling said...

love the 'hood! the lactating goat is my favorite, definately.