Wednesday, April 29, 2009

it's heartbreaking, really.

This whole leaving thing is really a bummer. I seem to be okay during the day--I don't really feel stressed out and I haven't had any melt-downs yet (I'm expecting those post-return, actually). But in the last few weeks, I've had really strange, unsettling dreams. To date, I've had a tornado dream, an earthquake dream, and last night I had a hurricane dream. Or typhoon, I should say. I'd interpret that to mean that somewhere under my calm surface, there are storms brewing.

Last night I told one of my favorite groups of munchkins that next (Tuesday) will be my last time teaching them. Have you ever heard ten kids groan in unison, in a way that would suggest you just killed their dogs? Well, it is not a pretty sound. Then one boy, who we call "Monkey," said something in Chinese to my co-teacher. She told me that he said "Teacher, if we are going to cry but we want to stop ourselves, should we bite on our fingers? Or what should we do?" Insert knife through heart here, and begin to twist it slowly.

Tonight I had my first "last class" with a group of junior high girls. I brought donuts for them and gave them each a little card. We took pictures and they promised to e-mail me. A few of them gave me sweet cards, too. Here is what one girl wrote to me:

Dear Elly:

Although you weren't teaching us for a long time, I think you are really a good teacher. I think you also a kindness person, because you went to teach the orphans in Ilan.

I hope you can come back to Taiwan, and teach us again.

I will miss you, and I won't forget you. You can't forget me, too.

P.S. I hope your sister's party will go smoothly.

Your student,
Judy

Aiyoh! That's what I have to look forward to for the next five days of work. Last hugs, last giggles, last moments with my precious students. And then I'll finish work and have a week to chill, pack, and experience more lasts. Eating at my favorite restaurants for the last time, last times with dear friends here, last, last, last.

It took a brave, strong girl to come to Taiwan all by herself a year ago. I think it will take an even braver, stronger girl to leave.

3 comments:

Carrie Sterner said...

I think your last sentence says it all very well. Praying for your heart in this time of transition. May the Lord hold it very close to Him.

Danelle said...

Please call me when you have a post return meltdown. We'll process it over tea. Praying for you these last days in another place that has grabbed your heart and taught you more about life. Looking forward to seeing you.

mrs. darling said...

I loved your last sentence, so very true. Thank you for sharing your students with us, they are beautiful.

Praying for you as you transition back to life in the states. May He hold you close through every single moment. Especially that one moment when your feet leave Tawain's soil and board the plane. He will be your comfort and strength.