I've been very surprised to find that many students have problems with this. Since they already have to learn thousands of detailed characters, I assumed that symbol recognition would be no problem for them. Really, what's another 26? And in comparison to traditional Chinese, Roman letters look like bean sprouts dropped into soup! But I digress. I mentioned the problem to one of the Taiwanese assistants at school, and she said she'd come in to class and have a chat with the kids.
She drew a capital "B" and a lower case "b" on the board, and then launched into a mini-workshop on Bb/Dd. From what I could understand (it was in Chinese), she told them that a "B" looks like the profile of a pregnant woman, and "b" is her baby. Since the baby is inside, they both face the same direction. A "D" is the profile of a woman after she has the baby, and when the baby is out, it looks at the mommy: D d. Hmm. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but since then, the students seem to be writing the curvy consonants facing the correct directions.
Tonight I was biking home and noticed a sign near a taxi-car company that made me sigh despondently--and I realized I should surrender the hope that my students will one day be free from Bb/Dd confusion. There, in large letters, advertising the company's website, the sign read:
www.car-clud.com.tw
1 comment:
Haha, this is hilarious! I'm definitely going to be remembering this strategy. And to be honest, it took me a couple b/d flips to figure out that it should've said "car-club".....oops!
Post a Comment