Sunday, November 22, 2009

my iBirthday

My 28th birthday ended up following a theme--everything started with "I!" A few friends and I went Ice Skating, shopping at Ikea, out for Indian food, and got Ice cream (on an Island)!

iCe skating
After getting lost--and it was my fault--we finally found the Taipei Ice Arena. We paid for our tickets and got all suited up, only to find everyone leaving the ice for a 30-minute cleaning break. So we watched the Zamboni go around and Helen got increasingly anxious (she'd never skated before as the ice got shiny and slippery under the Zamboni's brushes.


Helen manages a smile as I give her a helping hand

I hadn't been skating since junior high school, but took to the ice like a fish to (arctic) water! I was about to try a triple-axel, but I didn't want to show off (haha).


"Look, Mom--no hands!"


With Wayne--he left us all in his dust! (Roller blader)

Helen making her way through the practice area


...and plopping down for a rest

Happier with the skates on her hands!

Sporting a rosy, "I-just-made-a-snowman" glow! (Hard to come by in Taiwan)


The outside of the Ice Arena
(Of course, a ginormous TV screen)



A giant hand with a cell phone


That's 73 degrees Fahrenheit, mmm!




iKea
We had an hour to kill before the restaurant opened so we stopped in to Ikea and got a few things--a wok, some chocolates and pepparkakkar (ginger cookies) to hold us over before dinner.


iNdian food

After another minor detour, we found Tandoor Indian Restaurant a minute before 6 pm--opening time! We shared delicious appetizers...


Dinner was too good--I forgot to take pictures till it was gone!


Cool napkins!


A little night market stroll in Ximen-Ding


iCe cream

Dessert at Coldstone!

Peanut-Butter-Fudge-Something-or-Other Delicious!


Notice the lovely betel-nut juice dripping down the wall next to me! Only in Taiwan!

1 comment:

Maria Lovin said...

awesome pictures Elly!!!! so glad you had an iNcredible birthday!