1. Me (to ESL class of jr. high kids): Okay, close your books, time for the quiz!
Girl: Teacher, me first! Give me my quiz first!
Me: Don't be selfish.
Girl: What's "selfish?"
Me: Only thinking about yourself!
Girl: Oh. Teacher, I don't selfish, I sell hamburgers!
2. (Practicing verbs with first grade beginning ESL kids) I asked them to show me gestures for different verbs such as "waking up," "eating," and "writing." Then I asked them to show me "reading." Easy, right? Put the sides of your open hands together and open and close your palms! But this is Taiwan, 2010... one little guy whose feet can't even reach the floor whips out one hand in front of his face and uses his other finger to scroll around his palm like he was on a Blackberry or PDA or Kindle doo-dad! Really?
1 comment:
oh wow...the reading one blew me away. i feel like my grandma saying this...but kids these days!! it's definately not how we grew up!
Post a Comment