Monday, December 1, 2008

...and then Jenni came to Taiwan! (Part 1)

I waited at the airport for about an hour before she came through the doors, and it was the longest hour of my life! I began to think I was dreaming the whole thing and she wasn't coming! But finally I saw her blonde curly hair and I jumped up and did a little happy-dance (okay, just kidding... happy-dances aren't really culturally appropriate in public here). I stifled a shriek of joy and gave her a big hug to make sure she was real!

"I can't believe you're in Taiwan!" I said.
"I can't believe you LIVE in Taiwan!" she said, and we both laughed.

The week was short but fabulous. Seeing someone I love was so good for my soul. I mean, it's been SIX MONTHS since I've seen anyone close to me. Six months without a hug from my family or a good friend. That's a really long time! We made good use of our time and took advantage of her jet-lag; she woke me up every day between 6 and 7 AM! That was tough, as I'm on Taiwan-time now (staying up late and getting up late)! We laughed... and laughed... and laughed. Somehow everything is ten times as funny when Jenni and I are together. I'm so glad someone from home has seen my life here, so when I go back and I want to reminisce, someone will understand me. An added bonus--Jenni kind of fell in love with Taiwan! She was just coming here to visit me and encourage me, but she ended up really enjoying Taiwan, so I think I succeeded as a tour guide. Also, she thinks I speak Chinese, which is great, because I really don't!

We did so much in the 4 1/2 days she was here! Monday afternoon, we went to see a temple in one of the towns where I teach, and had a picnic of tea and pad thai under a pagoda even though it was a chilly evening.



On Tuesday we went to Taipei. We saw the impressive Chiang Kai Shek Memorial and wandered around for about an hour trying to find a Starbuck's (really weird--I think they moved all of them or something!) but it was a beautiful day and we got to see a lot of the city.

The CKS Memorial Hall

This little guy made it up the 86 steps (representing Chiang Kai Shek's age when he died) in a flash! Impressive... and cute!

No slovenly dress, okay?


The man.
We ate pizza for dinner and hung out, talking in the cozy booth until we thought they were going to start charging us for refilling our water glasses.

After dinner, we went to Taipei 101 and went up to the top--my second time, but I was terrified because the last time, my ears popped every three floors in the elevator (which goes up to the 91st floor... and happens to be the fastest elevator in the world). And of course, I was squeezed into the back corner of the elevator and I'm claustrophobic. It was rough but I made it to the top. Everything was decorated for Christmas in the observatory and they were playing Christmas music. Jenni loved it, except for the part where you could feel the building swaying gently (like bamboo in the wind? it's designed like a bamboo stalk!), up to ten feet according to the informational signs. The view was great at night--we went to the outside deck and could see all of Taipei sparkling like a carnival, nestled at the foot of dark shadowy mountains.

Outside the 101


An American artist's contribution to the sculptures at the base of 101

View from the top! Notice the reflection of a Christmas tree?

With the damper baby, dressed in a Christmas hat and gloves!?

Outside on the observation deck--it was so cold and windy! Jenni was really scared. :-)


On the elevator going down, I was once again squeezed into the back corner. I tried to focus on deep breathing and swallowing to pop my ears, but when I looked over at Jenni and we both happened to tip our heads down for a big swallow at exactly the same time, we lost it. It was so quiet in the elevator and we tried to stifle our giggles, all the while my ears getting closer and closer to exploding. You can't laugh and pop your ears simultaneously. I whispered in mock anger, I am NEVER taking you in the world's fastest elevator again! Is this why people say Americans are loud? I prefer exuberant, thank you very much!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Woooo Hooooo! I wish you would've had a video crew following you the whole time. It'd make a great TBS show :)

I'll have you know, I sent SEVERAL hugs with Jenni to give you. So some of that love was from me :)

The pictures are AWESOME! Good to see you and a familiar face. Your smile looks 85% larger and more genuine with her than it did in your previous ones. That might be a slight exaggeration.

So much fun :) I laughed out loud at the elevator story!!!

Sounds like so much fun. I can't wait for part 2!!!! Hurry, or I might have to do homework while I wait!

Carrie Sterner said...

It is absolutely amazing there. I am so glad that Jenni came to visit and that God blessed you so.

Hats off to you for the elevator ride. I know I would have chickened out because I too don't love swaying buildings or tight spaces.

sara lyn said...

hahahaha, i can only imagine the amount of laughter that happened while jenni was there. :) i LOVE that she came to see you! how fun!! and wonderful pics...you both look so beautiful!