Thursday, December 4, 2008

slip 'n' slide...

Last Saturday night, my friend took me to Hsinchu (a city about 30 minutes away by train) to see a modern dance performance--her late birthday gift to me.

It was... interesting, to say the least! The stage had been covered in slick plastic and baby oil, and the dancers (four males) wore a minimal amount of clothing and were completely drenched in oil as well. The palms of their hands and soles of their feet were painted red and their heads were shaved. They were able to do some really cool moves--gliding across the stage on their backs, etc.

Here's the best part--afterwards, they invited everyone down to the stage to take off their shoes and walk on the slick plastic, to see how difficult it was. It was me and Helen and a bunch of kids. :) It was incredible--I couldn't believe how slippery it was! I really appreciated the performance after feeling the stage!


Check out this video of the kids sliding around!





The choreographer talking about his piece. In Chinese. I had an "I-Hate-Language-Barriers" moment.


Okay. It was a very chilly, windy night. But an ice sculpture? Really? It was outside the theater... this is post-performance, and I swear it was twice this size when we walked in to the theater two hours before. Notice the huge puddle on the sidewalk.

Dinner at a nice cafe in Hsinchu..

1 comment:

Maria said...

hahaaa i love this.

the video doesn't work still, but it looks as if i would laugh a lot watching it :)

i want to find out who came up with the idea of dancing on/in oil....? hmm....