Monday, February 1, 2010

i'm BLUE, ba-da-dee-ba-da-da, ba-da-dee, da-da-da...

Remember that incredibly annoying song from the '90's? Haha, now you do! (It's gonna be in your head all day, I promise)

Anyway... I am sooo over this leg situation. I realized that I can only remember ONE other time in my entire life when I had to be sedentary for this long--and that was when I had a mono-like virus my senior year of college and had to stay in bed to keep my swollen spleen safe (if you rupture an enlarged spleen, you're pretty much history).

Aside from that time and this, there have never been two weeks of my life that didn't include running, dancing, yoga, pilates, walking...

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure my brain is going through endorphin withdrawal, which may be just as serious as whatever's going on in my knee. Speaking of which, I am noticing that people are okay with receiving a lot less information here regarding their health. The doctors told me only what DIDN'T happen (no broken bones) which hardly satisfied me.

I want to know why the heck it still hurts--exactly which ligaments/tendons/tissues/joints/bony protrusions/muscles are pulled/bruised/torn/stretched/chipped/strained. And then I want to know exactly how long I should wait before I straighten my leg/bear weight/bend/balance/jump/walk/run/bike/dance/ice skate/climb trees/spin. Is that too much? Is it because I'm American and grew up with western medicine that I must know all of these specific details (some of which I might not even understand)? Is it because I'm a dancer? Is it because I know I'm always missing something because I can't speak much Chinese?

I'm reminding myself to translate some of the physical aspects of movement that I usually enjoy into spiritual qualities that I can practice, leg or no leg. Fluidity, flexibility, strength, adaptability, perseverance, creativity...

1 comment:

Maria Lovin said...

Haha, that song IS going to be stuck in my head all day. I know it's rough to be immobile, but I'm glad you're thinking about how you can stretch yourself in non-physical ways! And...did you decide to go to another doctor/hospital to find out all the answers to your questions?! You should!