Monday, July 28, 2008

like a snow day... only not!

The word is out--school is canceled tomorrow (meaning I don't have to work)--Typhoon Day! I'm excited... right now (1:30 AM) it's just raining and sounds really windy, but I think tomorrow the rain will get heavier and the wind stronger. Everything shuts down when there's a typhoon. I'm looking forward to sleeping in, practicing yoga, reading, doing some laundry...

On Saturday I went to a yoga workshop at the place I go in Taipei (Pure Yoga), given by Seane Corn, who is internationally known in the yoga world. She's a beautiful woman, a gifted teacher, and also an ambassador for YouthAIDS, along with Ashley Judd. Seane also has an organization called "Off The Mat, Into The World," that I've known about for some time. She works with children who have been rescued from human trafficking in India, Cambodia, and the U.S.A. This is something I've been passionate about for years. Someday I hope to do movement therapy, dance, and yoga with the rescued children. Anywhere I can.

The workshop was small and intimate--only 12 people. I would never have had that chance in America. The discussion was about the chakras (energy centers in the body). It was really interesting and several things she said resonated with my philosophy about the body-mind connection, awareness, and healing.

She talked about how, when we reflect on an experience, we frequently label it "good" or "bad." If we can, instead, be grateful, knowing that God is giving us exactly what we need at the moment--an opportunity to grow and change. Pain brings our attention to the places in our lives that need more awareness. When we are going through a difficult time--maybe an illness, a loss, stress, change--we often ignore the "darker" emotions like anger, fear, resentment, hatred, and grief. Or we try to numb them. While we aren't dealing with the issues, our bodies still have to. Tension accumulates in different parts of the body, and can cause a wide range of maladies. Of course, not every physical problem is a result of a "heart" issue, but certainly many are. Along with this she talked about forgiveness, and it's importance to your health. In her words, "forgive. it's the hardest yoga you will ever practice."

After the workshop I was able to talk to her for a little while. (Most of the other students had to ask questions through a translator. My desire to work with the human trafficking issues was reaffirmed and I'm inspired to look for opportunities as soon as I can (most likely back in the U.S., though).

Last week was a bit of a rough one, so I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to meet Seane and for an extra-long weekend, thanks to the typhoon!




Seane Corn (great hair, hmm!?)

No comments: