So I had the day off yesterday because of the typhoon. What a joke! It didn't even rain! It was a little windy, I guess, but nothing bad. I think the other side of the island was hit harder. I'm still waiting to see a real typhoon... they always seem to fizzle out by the time they hit our corner. My friend and I went to Taipei and wandered around and had dinner at a Persian restaurant and it was delicious.
Last night I couldn't fall asleep so I got up and was checking something on the internet. I kept feeling something on my foot, and I looked down and saw the massive shadow of a cockroach. I tried not to scream (it was 3 AM and I didn't want to wake anyone) but I was totally freaked. I turned on my light and of course, he disappeared. I looked and looked, and finally went to sleep with my light on (they hate lights) and an eye pillow over my eyes. Another great nights' sleep...
In a few hours I'm teaching a yoga class--my first one in Taiwan--at a studio across the street. I've told several other teachers about it but I have no idea who will show up, but I'm excited about the prospect of teaching something besides English these days.
On August 1st, a one-month holiday begins, which is like a "vacation for the ghosts," so I've been told. Every year for a month, the spirits get "let out" and can do whatever they want. People bring them food and clothing and other offerings at the temples. They can make mischief, I guess... consider yourself warned! :-)
1 comment:
i can't tell you, between senegal and south carolina, how many nights i slept with the lights on for the very same reason...but the ones in SC i think had become immune to the fear of lights...pray yours never do! it's hopeless at that point!
Post a Comment