Wednesday, March 24, 2010

on bad parenting and being a helpless teacher

Yesterday I was signing my 1st grader's communication books. I'm not sure which parents check them and which don't, but I usually just check the boxes for "Good Work," "Homework Finished," "Good Attitude," etc. Unless the student was particularly ornery that day--then they get a "Needs to Pay Attention in Class" or whatever.

Little H was not very good in class yesterday. He's smart but always talks out of turn, doesn't raise his hand, shouts out answers that I've asked other students to answer, etc. Sometimes it's just too disrupting to let it slide. When I signed his book and checked "Talks Too Much," his face fell. Then he pulled up his t-shirt sleeve revealing several small, dark bruises on his upper arm. He told me his mother will give him more when she sees that he didn't do "Good Work" in class today.

My heart was twisting, of course, but I couldn't just erase the red pen check I'd just given him. I felt sorry and angry at his wretch of a mother for being so ignorant. In the States, this would be the point where I'd call the mandatory reporter hotline or notify the school counselor. Here, it's the point where you do nothing but pray she wasn't too hard on him last night. I felt a little bit sick all afternoon.

The cultural differences between Taiwan and America, both in the home and in the educational system, are vast. Being a teacher here is completely different from working in an American school. Yet, while I can't report H's mom for abuse, I can hug him, ruffle his hair, put a comforting hand on his shoulder--without being reported myself...

1 comment:

Maria Lovin said...

Oww, my heart hurts after that post. But like you pointed out, some of the differences between here and there are good--love on him all you want and no one can report you for that. I hope and pray for better parenting...