Tuesday, September 23, 2008

SWFITAPOI

Tonight in one of my classes, we read a lesson called "Tom's Wedding" or something like that. Before we read it, I asked "so, what is 'wedding' in Chinese?" and then I started singing the "Here Comes the Bride" song as a clue. A few of them said the word in Chinese and one boy, Kevin, age 13, burst into giggles. At first I thought he was laughing at me singing--but it wasn't that. We all looked at him, astonished. "Kevin, what?" When he finally regained composure, he gasped, "Teacher... is... SINGLE!" and erupted with fresh hilarity, and this time the whole class joined in. Of course I laughed too--it was funny that they found it funny that I'm not married! I told them that I actually prefer it that way and that they are too young too understand, and that I'm too young for it to even be a big deal! Ah, kids say the darndest things!


(by the way, SWFITAPOI stands for "Single White Female In Taiwan And Proud Of It")

1 comment:

Maria said...

aaah!!!! why was it so funny to him?! that is cute :) he probably thinks you're going to wait for him to grow up and marry him, and he couldn't contain his laughter and excitement :)